Watton & District Rotary Club have refitted a plaque to the Watton Town sign
which stands in the High St. outside Adcocks Home Electrical.
The sign was originally presented to the town by the Rotary Club in 1959, and
as seen in the attached photo now has a plaque attached to commemorate
that, as the original plaque was evidently lost sometime ago when the sign was
previously refurbished and the original wood post replaced with a metal post.
We have researched our old Rotary Club Minutes from July 1957 when a town
sign was originally raised by Rotarian Horsburgh, and Rotarian Adcock was in
favour of the idea. Discussions were held within Rotary and with Watton Town
Council through 1957-1958 until the final design was approved and permission
granted to erect the sign in the High St.
The final design by Mr Frere-Smith was manufactured by Harry Carter of
Swaffham, and installed in June 1959 by Builders Day & Novak – Joe Novak was
a Rotarian – who supplied materials at a nominal £37.00 and installed the sign
for the town without charge.
Watton & District Rotary Club 2023